Friday 20 March 2015

Behind The Voice - The Memoirs of an Irrepressible Optimist (Part 1)


Image result for Kotoka airport
The Kotoka International Airport

Here I was, approximately  a few meters  from the coordinates 05°36’16.8’’North 000°10’02.6’’West,in  my favourite cream-colored blazer, a skirt and a pair of  embroidered Birkenstocks, and of course, my smart phone! While I took a second to wipe the sweat off my left brow, my heart raced at the moment that I felt like a bottled rocket. The weather, a cool 24°C with light winds and clear skies .I just knew my day was going to be fun!

It was Saturday morning, March 14th  and a few minutes to midday UTC+0 according to my wrist watch. I was at the premier international Airport of Ghana-the Kotoka International Airport to share a day in the life of an airport announcer. I was interested in finding out the nitti gritty behind the scenes.
I started off with Terminal 2 (International) and headed straight into the departure Hall through the inner walkway but the place was surprisingly busy for a Saturday. A long queue was building up as check-in was in progress for Delta flight DL478 from New York. The almighty Emirates Airlines EK787 flight had arrived from Dubai at 11:35am and I was just in time for the arrival alert for Kenya Airways flight KQ500 from Nairobi at 11:55am. The sultry voice through the speakers inadvertently led me to a detour straight to Terminal 1(Domestic) the building from which all announcers operated. The plan was to take a little tour before visiting the “sanctum of the announcers” but time would be far too spent, had I have chosen the former option.

Emirates's B777-300ER being prepared for boarding (right) Kenya Airways' B737-800 on runway

The so called sanctum was situated upstairs, with no worry about the intrusion of unwanted persons. Terminal 1 was no where close to Terminal 2 in terms of saturation although two regional airliners were carrying out check-in simultaneously. I hurriedly ascended the fleet of stairs through the airline offices straight to the office from which all the public audio announcements were made. And there, I realized was my last stop. It was a few steps away from the tarmac with a thick glass window doing the separation. I would’ve loved to go on the tarmac itself, but for some security reasons, I wasn’t allowed to do so. The reason being a result of a few mishaps some weeks back, as I was told.

I wasn’t perplexed one bit, as the airport staff themselves had restricted areas of which they weren’t permitted to access. In addition, their IDs had color codes which indicated areas which their ID cards allowed them access. Quite commendable, I should say because it prevents unauthorized access even from “known people” who can abuse that status. I then resolved to watch from a distance.

The Ethiopian B737-800 from a distance and 2 Embraer 145 of Africa World Airlines on the tarmac

The announcers’ office or working area, as I’d like to call it, is separated by a thick glass window with an enchanting view of the tarmac as a bonus. Over on the tarmac, were 2 of Africa World Airlines’ Embraer 145 aircrafts bound for Kumasi and Tamale respectively. Both aircrafts were just about boarding as the ground staff trouped in with the baggage of the passengers .Both aircrafts were preparing for take off. Antrak Air flight 04 312 had also just arrived from Tamale at 12:20pm and was being serviced by a fuel truck soon after.


Two of Africa World Airlines' Embraer 145 carrying out final checks before departure to Tamale & Kumasi (left)
An arriving Asky Airline on runway(background)


Antrak Air's ATR 72-500 aircraft being serviced by a fuel truck at the bay









No comments:

Post a Comment